Reversible coat from OOP Butterick 3306

This pattern came out some time around 2001, but as someone who buys patterns on sale, then keeps them for years, I’m glad I finally got around to making this. I wanted a casual jacket to wear and decided that I wanted something in all black. I spotted this quilted coating on the Mood Fabrics website and knew that was what I wanted. The material is finished on the back side but it is recommended to line the garment. So with reviewing the pattern views, and this one (View A) being reversible, I decided that I would use black corduroy for the other side.

Butterick 3306

In my opinion, this is the perfect fabric choice for this jacket. I really like the length as well since it goes to just below the hip which makes it easy for sitting and driving or whatever. The pattern calls for no pockets on the reverse side (which for me is the corduroy), but as you can see, I added them. No point in having a reversible coat with pockets on only one side!

I lined the patch pockets with the red and black check fabric I had left over from my shirt (here).

Here is a picture of the pattern envelope so you’ll know which one I’m talking about. some of you may have this pattern.

All in all a successful project that I;m very happy with. This was also the easiest (and fastest) jacket/coat I’ve ever made.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season! Warm wishes to all…

Denise

March BurdaStyle Coat

While I was just about ready to give up on the BurdaStyle challenge (to make at least one garment a month from the magazine), I decided I couldn’t quit after just 2 months. So I made this coat which is really nice for Spring.

I used a washable linen blend fabric. I like the style and the fit. This is actually one of the older patterns. It’s 03/2012 #110.

There are in-seam pockets (a must-have) and a pretty simple design. The only problem I had is the lining. I didn’t do a great job cutting it out, so it’s a bit wonky on the inside. This is the kind of thing I can see making again, though.

Next time I’ll do a better job on cutting out the lining. But, this was actually very easy and fairly quick to make. There are no buttons or snaps for closure and the magazine has variations that can be made with the pattern.

Anyway, now I know that I need to pay more attention when cutting out the lining (like making sure the pieces don’t slide around). It’s all a learning experience!

Finishing out the year…

It’s time for me to start thinking about what goals I want to accomplish for 2015. I have done more sewing in 2014 than I think I ever have in one single year! That is due to the RTW (ready-to-wear) fast that I participated in this year. I plan to do the same next year. I have had so much fun sewing things (for myself) and trying new techniques that it’s really been a great learning experience for me.

But, I’m still working on the coat. I had originally decided on Vogue 9069.

V9069, Misses' Coat and Belt
 
 
Then I realized that the pattern I purchased was too big (I made a muslin). I bought this in a large and it’s just too large. So, I decided I would make a different coat. But the problem is I really like this one. So, as I type this blog post, I am drying the fabric and lining I’m going to use for this. I re-sized my muslin (one thing I’ve learned to do pretty quickly this year), and will, hopefully this week, make or at least start this coat. Then I will have ended the year as it began – with a coat.
 
 
 
 
This is Vogue 8933 that I made in January.
 
So I hope to do another post before the end of the year. In any case, I wish you all Happy Holidays! Today (December 16) is my birthday so I will be celebrating with my family and NOT cooking tonight.
 
 



First project of the year – DONE!

I just completed Vogue 8933. I made view A which is the short jacket. The pattern calls for contrast sleeves, but I used only one fabric for the jacket. I really like the style of this jacket and I find the length to be perfect when I have to drive while wearing it (I don’t care for long coats particularly in the car). I did change how the collar functions. what I mean by that is the pattern calls for hooks and eyes to close the collar around the neck. I actually did sew them on. Then, after I tried on the coat, I didn’t like how it looked, so I removed them. Now what I do is wrap the collar piece around my neck and snap the coat closed (that’s how it’s shown in the pictured). I like this look and feel much better.

Here is a close up of the fabric. It’s a wool herringbone that I bought at JoAnn’s. This jacket is quite warm!

Now, on to the next project!