I made another of my favorite T-shirt patterns, but this time it’s a little different. First of all, this is the first time I made the long-sleeve version. I made a number of the short-sleeve tees a while back here. But with Fall and cooler weather on the way, I wanted to try the long sleeve. If you’re not familiar, this Jenny T, by In House Patterns, is a PDF pattern so you get both the long and short sleeve versions.
For this particular one, I took the front pattern and split it. Then added seam allowance to the newly created seams. I had rounded the neck on this one also (the pattern is actually a V neck shirt). I used contrasting fabric for the center and created a new neckband.
I kept the back and sides solid. I’m fairly happy with the result, although the neckband is a bit wonky. I think I need to make the band shorter so that it fits tighter. But I just wanted to try this and see how it would look.
Overall, I think my experiment was a success and I will definitely wear it. Next time I will cut the sleeves a bit wider from the elbow down. It’s very fitted and I think I would like a little bit more room (maybe just an inch).
Anyway, that’s all for now. I’m almost done with my next project so I hope to show that to you next week.
Thanks for reading!
I love a good T-shirt. You would think that finding a good pattern to make one would be easy, but not necessarily… I’m pretty particular about how I want it to fit. I don’t want anything too tight or too low-cut in the front. I have found a source of RTW tees that I really like, but since I joined the RTW fast this year, I don’t want to buy any. So, I decided to try this new pattern I found on Pattern Review. It’s called the Jenny from In-House Patterns. It’s very basic, but that’s what I like.
First, what I love about the pattern is the fit. It fits just the way I want it to – not too loose, not too tight. And I really like the length.
Now, what I wasn’t crazy about is the V-neck was too low for me. So, I raised the neckline by about 2 1/2″. With doing this, it was a bit difficult to get the neckband to fit correctly. I had to keep shortening it until I got it right. I also had never attached a V-neck neckband the way the instructions say to do it. After trying it their way and trying it my way (which is the way that the Vogue 8536 T-shirt pattern instructs), I like my way better. I get a better fit and a more defined V. I also think it’s easier.
As you can see, I made this in a variety of colors. The solids are cotton interlock (my personal fav for tees). The print is a rayon/poly blend that’s very stretchy. Best of all, I had all of these in my stash!
Overall, this is a great pattern. I may still do some minor adjustments to the neck, but the sleeves and everything fits well. This is definitely a keeper!
And by the way, this is a PDF pattern which is something I don’t normally do. But it was very easy to print correctly (do the test page first).