I love making my own pajamas and have made several over the years. For this set I used Burda Style 6742, but then also ended up using McCall’s 4320.
Above is the BurdaStyle set as it’s supposed to be. Looks good even after taking the top out of the trash…
I really like the Burda pattern and all went well until I got to the part attaching the collar to the top. I’m still not sure what went wrong, but I just did not understand the instructions. If you’ve never made a Burda pattern, they are known for their minimal instructions. So, I think I attached the back/neck band wrong initially, and that’s what threw everything off. Anyway, I actually threw out the top at least 3 times. THREE times literally in the trash because I was so frustrated. That’s where the McCall’s pattern comes in.
I made the top in the second pic because I had already made the shorts and wanted a top to go with them. Whew!
I was determined to not let this pattern defeat me so I figured it out. It’s still not technically correct, but it works.
I do want to figure out how to make this top the right way. The shorts – no problem. The solid yellow is gauze and the rest is just a cotton quilting fabric.
The shorts have a mock fly with buttons and pockets. Contrasting fabric can be used for the waist and leg bands.
That’s all for now. Hopefully my next project won’t be so maddening!
I finally got the jacket I’d been working on done. I feel like it’s been forever, but it was really only about two weeks. There are quite a few pieces to the pattern, but once you get going, it really isn’t hard to sew together.
I made View D, which is the one with a high collar. The fabric is a wool blend coating I bought from LowPriceFabric.com. It’s raspberry wool with a lining to match.
I have to say I really LOVE this jacket. It’s warm (it was in the 30’s when I took these pictures). And the fit is great. I didn’t change anything about the pattern. That’s what I like.
The length of this view was perfect for me. I could see myself making this again using a different view and a different type of fabric. I think this pattern is pretty versatile in that regard.
One more thing, this is a picture of the robe I made at the end of last year. It’s red fleece and very warm and cozy.
I used McCall’s 4320 for this which has been my go-to pattern for robes and pj pants.
Happy new year to everyone out there!
I really wanted to have my latest project done by now, but that hasn’t happened. I feel like I’m fighting off a cold, so I haven’t been totally motivated to sew too much right now.
But, here is what I’m working on.
I’m making View D. I think it will be great once it’s done. I actually hope to have it finished by the end of the week. I try to get a little bit done almost every day.
I’ve got most of the lining done. At this point there’s really not that much left to do. So far, this is actually a fairly easy pattern to put together. The jacket is in a raspberry wool with raspberry lining.
Here is something that I did complete this year.
It’s McCall’s 4320 robe. This is in lavender flannel so it’s soft and warm. Just what’s needed when it’s a cold, rainy/snowy winter. I also made the same robe in red fleece on the last day of 2014.
Okay, so back to do some more sewing so I can get this done. I’m trying not to have any UFOs this year!