I recently had to attend a memorial service and I needed something to wear. Fortunately, I tried on some clothes the day before the event and realized that what I had just wouldn’t do. The dress and skirt were too small. Luckily, I had a piece of black fabric in my stash and this pattern:
I decided on View A because I had just enough fabric to make it (less than a yard). I used a polyester crepe material for this. The lines in this pattern make a simple fitted skirt much more interesting.
The back yoke makes fitting the skirt much easier. While this pattern looks complicated, I assure you it’s not. I finished this is about 4 hours. The skirt is unlined and I think that the next time, I will draft a lining pattern for it.
I didn’t add any design changes or alterations to this since I was in a time crunch. I also don’t think it needs anything (except the lining). The skirt fit perfectly just making it out of the envelope.
Simple, easy, comfortable and quick are the keys to this Vogue Options pattern!
I made Simplicity 3754 again. I had first made it here, and really liked it. I made view D. This time I used a patterned denim fabric I bought at JoAnn’s.
This is just an easy to make and easy to wear skirt. I did not make any alterations to the pattern.
Until next time…
This summer is all about easy to sew, easy to wear clothes for me. I don’t want to fuss to have to wear something (or make something). So, the latest thing I’ve made is this skirt from Simplicity.
The pattern is for woven or stretch knit fabrics. I used a woven fabric. I made View D with some changes. I shortened the skirt by about 14″. I also eliminated the slit. It’s a full skirt, so a slit really wouldn’t be needed anyway.
In addition, I did “stitch-in-the-ditch” to secure the elastic. The pattern says that the elastic should “float” in the casing. I didn’t want that, so I did secure it.
I used a cotton that I bought at Hobby Lobby to make this. So, more easy, breezy sewing for summer to come!
I’ve been wanting to make myself another skirt, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I just wanted something simple and basic. I’ve made this pattern before and I really like it. It’s a great A-line skirt pattern with length variations (here’s the pattern). I’ve made View D before, so that was already traced. I wanted something a little longer this time. So, rather than trace the pattern again, I just added 3″ to the length. By the time I was done, I had cut off some of that, so I probably should have just added 1 1/2″-2″, but everything worked out in the end.
I used black corduroy that I’ve had in my fabric stash for probably 2 years now. Since I’ve joined the RTW fast, I’m also more conscious of how much fabric I have and trying to find a good use for it.
I feels good to get rid of one more piece of material and have it be something I like and can use.