I decided to enter the sew along started by “thatblackchic”. I didn’t find out about it until it was about to start and I didn’t have the pattern, so I was playing catch-up from the start. Actually, I was just behind from the start. I had the blouse to finish first (see my previous post). Anyway, I got it all together and got the blazer made in about 3 days. I think that is a record for me.
I had seen this pattern before and liked it. It’s basically a structured/tailored unlined blazer.
I like the tailored look for blazers anyway, and unlined is crucial here (it’s heading to about 90 degrees F today so it’s HOT!). I don’t want anything that’s going to add extra heat to me.
So to keep it cool, I chose a blue and white striped seersucker from G Street Fabrics. It washes great and is easy to work with. And because the stripes are thin and small, I didn’t even bother matching and there was no problem with that. I just made sure to keep the pattern pieces straight when cutting.
I used my tailor’s clapper to set the crease in the lapel. As you can see, I went with matching blue binding rather than white. I didn’t make any adjustments to the pattern and love the way it looks. I did not add shoulder pads, which is an option for this pattern.
It’s very comfortable and I recommend this pattern to anyone willing to give it a try!
Now, it’s time to clean up the sewing room because it’s a mess after two quick back-to-back projects!