Lessons learned…

I made this apron (B5263) in a couple of days, but what I’ve learned from making it will, I hope, last for some time to come. The first lesson is when you have fabric with a design in a particular direction, double check BEFORE you cut to make sure it’s going the right way.  I was so happy when G Street Fabrics had this fabric in stock and I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Unfortunately, the first front piece I cut was upside down. Since it’s a cupcake design, I couldn’t pretend that no one would notice. Luckily, the store had a little over a yard left, so I bought the rest of the bolt. I have made aprons for other people, but I’ve never made one for myself, and I’m so glad I finally did it.

The next lesson for me is to have FUN! While cupcake-printed aprons may not be the latest fashion statement, this was such a fun thing to make and to wear. It’s practical and utilitarian which means it might as well bring a smile to my face. While I’m not sure if this pattern is still available, I made View C. I like that there are abundant pockets for whatever you want. The tie is long enough to tie in the front or back. And the pattern is very easy to make. If you don’t screw up like I did, it wouldn’t take more than a few hours to complete.

Anyway, check twice, cut once, and have fun. Those are some pretty good lessons to remember.

4 thoughts on “Lessons learned…

  1. I love your blog. I am hoping to take up sewing again soon. Glad you're having fun and share with us!

  2. Love your apron. I saw your review on pattern review and followed you here. I may have a go at this one, as it is exactly the kind of apron I have been looking for, without the halterneck thing for aprons have.

Comments are closed.