My goal in making a Spring coat for myself was to get it done in time for Easter. That almost didn’t happen, because I almost gave up. I used BurdaStyle 7072. It was exactly what I wanted my coat to look like. The only thing is I had a little trouble putting one section together. The side-panel and under-sleeve piece just about did me in. I followed instructions, but as sometimes happens with Burda, the instructions seemed rather skimpy in this area. As a result, I never could get it to go together exactly right. Fortunately, I knew what it was supposed to look like, so I did the best I could and actually hand-sewed the fabric pieces together rather than use the sewing machine. By the time I did the lining, I think I figured out what the instructions didn’t say and that went together by machine pretty easily. In any case, I’m happy with the result (and happier I stuck with it). Usually around here (in the Washington, DC area), Spring, if we have one, can be very short before we go right into summer temperatures. So far, Spring has been exceptionally and unusually cool.
Anyway, the coat is made from a polyester fabric and the lining is a silky lining fabric. I had both of these in my stash so I was glad to get some use out of both of these pieces. I have enough left to make a skirt so I may do that at a later date.
Otherwise the coat went together very smoothly with no other issues. This is something that I’m not sure I would make again, just because the style is pretty distinct. But I do like it very much.