Lately I’ve been working on sewing for Spring and Summer. Although the temperatures here in the mid-Atlantic haven’t really warmed up consistently, I thought I’d try to get a jump on things this year. And knowing that I need some new shorts, I thought I’d give two different patterns a try.
One is Vogue 9008 and the other is BurdaStyle 6812. I must say, I REALLY like the Burda pattern best.
I made the Vogue shorts with the flat front (see picture below). I do like these, but the flat-front (no pleats) does not have pockets (the pleated front does). I really like shorts with pockets and a flat front.
By the way, these are all wearable muslins that I made.
Then I made the Burda pattern as is (it has pleats but not as pronounced as the Vogue). I like that, but was determined to figure out how to get that fit with a flat front.
So, I pleated the pattern piece before cutting it out, then re-traced the piece so I had a new front.
This is basically the style I want! I will adjust the crotch length which will require shortening the zipper, but I think I’ve got my TNT shorts pattern. And the best part is, the BurdaStyle pattern is really easy to make! And there are variations in the pattern for pants and culottes. You could, of course, adjust the length of the shorts to your own preference. I just happen to like mine about this length.