Fun Skirt with Vogue 8295

I rarely make something from I fabric that’s just for fun – just because I love the fabric. I did this time! I bought this material last year and knew it would be perfect for some kind of skirt.

This is a stretch pima cotton. And I love that the print goes both directions so you can cut either way.

I used V8295 which is a full skirt (almost a circle skirt) made with only 2 pieces (waistband and skirt).

I used an invisible zipper for closure on this. The only thing that’s missing, in my opinion, are pockets. I may figure out a way to add those next time!

I encourage you to make something FUN for yourself for spring or summer (or anytime).

Life is short. Have fun sewing!

Hot Patterns Montpellier Dress – Really is Fast and Fabulous!

This is one of those patterns that I knew I wanted the minute I saw it.

 
It’s just one of those easy, breezy simple to wear in the summer dresses. So I made this from a linen-like fabric in navy blue. 
 

 
There were a few alterations I made in order to get to this point. I did make a muslin of the dress and basically worked in stages so that I could see the effects of each change I made.
 
First, I shortened it by 3″. I knew it would need to be shortened just from the picture on the envelope. The muslin cut my leg off at a weird (unflattering) spot, so 3″ off to start. 
 
Then it was VERY full so I needed to reduce the fullness, but keep the shape of the dress. So, I marked the waist on the muslin, then added a dart in the front (you really can’t tell with the dark, solid fabric) that extends from the waist to the hem.




I reshaped the curve a little about 1/2″ to reduce it in the back. Since the back has a seam anyway, that was easy to sew the “new” seam. The front I actually did cut on the fold and added the dart as mentioned above. 
 
The only thing I had actual trouble with was the in-seam pocket. I really wasn’t getting the instructions, so I did it the way I knew how. I cut off the facing and reshaped the pocket to get it done.
 
While all of this sounds like a lot, it took a few hours to work out the adjustments. Actual construction was pretty fast (about 4 hours). This dress is perfect for a linen blend or some other breezy type of fabric. It’ll be great for summer weather.
 

That’s all for now. On to the next project…
 

Shorts 3 Ways with 2 Patterns…

Lately I’ve been working on sewing for Spring and Summer. Although the temperatures here in the mid-Atlantic haven’t really warmed up consistently, I thought I’d try to get a jump on things this year. And knowing that I need some new shorts, I thought I’d give two different patterns a try.


One is Vogue 9008 and the other is BurdaStyle 6812. I must say, I REALLY like the Burda pattern best. 

I made the Vogue shorts with the flat front (see picture below). I do like these, but the flat-front (no pleats) does not have pockets (the pleated front does). I really like shorts with pockets and a flat front. 


By the way, these are all wearable muslins that I made. 

Then I made the Burda pattern as is (it has pleats but not as pronounced as the Vogue). I like that, but was determined to figure out how to get that fit with a flat front.


So, I pleated the pattern piece before cutting it out, then re-traced the piece so I had a new front.

This is basically the style I want! I will adjust the crotch length which will require shortening the zipper, but I think I’ve got my TNT shorts pattern. And the best part is, the BurdaStyle pattern is really easy to make! And there are variations in the pattern for pants and culottes. You could, of course, adjust the length of the shorts to your own preference. I just happen to like mine about this length. 

Sunny and Bright – McCall’s 6172 Blazer

It took me longer than I anticipated (doesn’t everything), but I got it done!


I have wanted a bright yellow blazer for a couple of years but never got around to making it until now. I’m so glad I did because I really like it. 

This is a pattern I’ve used before. It’s pretty easy to put this together, although there are a lot of pieces (as with most lined blazers). But, the process is pretty straight-forward. I also like how this pattern gives easy to follow instructions on how to do welt pockets. 

 


I’m wearing this with a dress I made last year M2401 here. Now that it’s finally gotten warm and the snow has melted, I’m looking forward to more Spring/Summer sewing. 

*sorry for the slightly blurry pictures. I think I didn’t have the setting on the camera quite right.

McCalls 2401

I’m particularly interested in making myself some dresses and skirts for spring and summer. I find that they tend to keep me cooler than long pants when it gets really hot and humid around here. But that’s going to be awhile because the weather here has been anything but spring-like. Today was a good day, so I went out and took some pictures.

This is McCall’s 2401, which is a basic sheath dress.

Although I’ve made the dress before, I’ve never made it with sleeves and the square neck.

I used stretch cotton twill which is pretty lightweight. I didn’t make any adjustments to the pattern. I did take the back dart all the way up to the neckline. I found that the back of the dress was too lose and I needed to reduce that somehow. While that worked out fine, if I make this again, I would just make the adjustment before cutting it out (like you’re supposed to).

Anyway, I like it and I like the print. I knew the dress was going to have to have a  simple design with such a bold print.