Sunny and Bright – McCall’s 6172 Blazer

It took me longer than I anticipated (doesn’t everything), but I got it done!


I have wanted a bright yellow blazer for a couple of years but never got around to making it until now. I’m so glad I did because I really like it. 

This is a pattern I’ve used before. It’s pretty easy to put this together, although there are a lot of pieces (as with most lined blazers). But, the process is pretty straight-forward. I also like how this pattern gives easy to follow instructions on how to do welt pockets. 

 


I’m wearing this with a dress I made last year M2401 here. Now that it’s finally gotten warm and the snow has melted, I’m looking forward to more Spring/Summer sewing. 

*sorry for the slightly blurry pictures. I think I didn’t have the setting on the camera quite right.

Simplicity 1421 Blazer – Done!

I decided to enter the sew along started by “thatblackchic”. I didn’t find out about it until it was about to start and I didn’t have the pattern, so I was playing catch-up from the start. Actually, I was just behind from the start. I had the blouse to finish first (see my previous post). Anyway, I got it all together and got the blazer made in about 3 days. I think that is a record for me.

I had seen this pattern before and liked it. It’s basically a structured/tailored unlined blazer. 


I like the tailored look for blazers anyway, and unlined is crucial here (it’s heading to about 90 degrees F today so it’s HOT!). I don’t want anything that’s going to add extra heat to me. 

So to keep it cool, I chose a blue and white striped seersucker from G Street Fabrics. It washes great and is easy to work with. And because the stripes are thin and small, I didn’t even bother matching and there was no problem with that. I just made sure to keep the pattern pieces straight when cutting.





I used my tailor’s clapper to set the crease in the lapel. As you can see, I went with matching blue binding rather than white. I didn’t make any adjustments to the pattern and love the way it looks. I did not add shoulder pads, which is an option for this pattern.



It’s very comfortable and I recommend this pattern to anyone willing to give it a try!

Now, it’s time to clean up the sewing room because it’s a mess after two quick back-to-back projects!